Dr Justin Varney
Public health leader, Health
Dr Justin Varney, an innovative public health doctor with experience at local, national and international levels, looking for new opportunities
Dr Justin Varney's Bio:
Dr Justin Varney's Experience:
Director of Public Health at Birmingham City CouncilFebruary 2019 - Present | Birmingham
Leading a large public health team delivering interventions and partnership work to protect and improve the health and wellbeing of a population of circa 1.2 million people in England's second city.
National Strategic Advisor on Health and Work at Public Health EnglandApril 2013 - February 2019 | London, England
• Strategic system leadership at national level on health, work and worklessness agenda. • Leading national engagement and partnership development with external and internal stakeholders, including business sector and voluntary and community sector. • Undertaking a strategic and horizon scanning review and options for the next 5yrs of PHE’s national programme on health, work and worklessness . • Lead the national matrix programme of work on LGBT health inequalities and supporting Government response to the national survey on LGBT experiences in the UK. • Provide expert public health advice to a range of national programmes including physical activity, culture and health and domestic violence. • Facilitating, and presenting, workshops with senior executives teams in the VCS and public sector on the implications of future population and societal trends
Technical Advisory Group Member at World Health OrganisationJune 2017 - June 2018 | Internation
• Providing expert public health technical and strategic advice to support the development of the WHO Global Action Plan on Physical Activity • Editing and co-producing elements of the Global Action Plan and advising on the media and campaigns strategy • Chairing plenary at launch of Global Action Plan in Lisbon in June 2018 • Representing the International Association of National Public Health Institutes (IANPHI) and coordinating the IANPHI response to draft documents and the formal WHO consultation
National Lead for Adult Health and Wellbeing at Public Health EnglandJune 2016 - March 2018 | London, England
• Expand the portfolio to integrate community pharmacy and allied health professional leads and sexual and reproductive health and HIV prevention teams into the Adult Health and Wellbeing team and portfolio of work. This included developing a new framework for public health action through community pharmacy, overseeing a national HIV prevention innovation funding scheme and a co-funding approach to roll out of home sampling nationally. • Establish a strong working relationship with the Joint Unit on Health and Work senior leadership team and co-produced the White Paper Improving Lives (2016) and the subsequent cross-government action plan. • Levered in £1.5m external funding to support the physical activity work-stream from Sport England and the Burdett Trust. • Developed, and secured £0.5m external funding, to support a multi-strand programme to develop work as a clinical outcome across healthcare professionals. • Project supervisor and trainer for medical higher specialist trainees from public health, sport & exercise medicine and psychiatry.
Thinker in Residence at University of SydneyJune 2017 - July 2017 | Sydney, Australia
• Invited by the university of Sydney to spark innovative thinking and challenge the status quo of academics within the university • Met with the Federal Premier's Office and health and sport advisors to discuss joined up government policy on physical activity • Explored with the Australian Heart Foundation at State and Federal levels the potential synergies and opportunities to move faster on population level physical activity.
Interim Deputy Director of Health & Wellbeing (Healthy People) at Public Health EnglandDecember 2015 - June 2016 | London, England
• Leading a multi-disciplinary division of topic and national expert leads for the life-course, diet and nutrition, sexual and reproductive health, NHS Health Checks and integrating public health professional leads for dental public health, pharmacy and allied health professionals into the division. • Managing a complex and rapidly evolving business planning cycle within changing financial parameters while also supporting a planned significant reduction in headcount across the division.
Dr Justin Varney's Education:
St.George's Medical School2002 – 2004MSc Public HealthConcentration: Public Health
St. Bartholomew's & The Royal London Hospitals Medical Schools1993 – 1999MBBSConcentration: Medicine
Dr Justin Varney's Interests & Activities:
Public health Health inequalities Public speaking Workshop facilitation Strategic health improvement/health promotion Policy development Policy implementation Diversity, equality and inclusion Innovation Public/Private partnership Teaching and training Lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans